This page was last updated on January 1, 2023.
This Privacy Notice (the “Notice“) governs how Citigroup Inc. and our subsidiaries and affiliated companies (collectively, “Citi,” “we,” or “us“) collect, use, and disclose Personal Information (as defined below) from and about users (“you“) of this website, Citi Blog and Citi News Alerts (collectively, the “Services“). We advise you to read the Notice in its entirety, including the jurisdiction-specific provisions in the appendix to this Notice, which will apply to users in certain jurisdictions.
If you are a California resident, the California Privacy Rights Act may give you certain privacy rights related to your Personal Information, which are in addition to any rights set forth in this Notice. Please read the California Supplemental Provision below for additional information.
Please note that if you are a Citi customer, additional privacy notices may apply to you as a customer of a particular Citi business, and this Notice does not replace any other privacy notice that may be applicable to Personal Information collected or used by Citi through that customer relationship with Citi.
· PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED THROUGH THE SERVICES
· HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION IS USED
· HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION IS SHARED
· LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
· YOUR CHOICES
· CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
· CONTACT US
Personal Information Collected Through the Services
We collect two types of information: Personal Information and Other Information.
“Personal Information” is sometimes also referred to as personal data, personally identifiable information or other like terms to mean any information that directly or indirectly identifies you or is reasonably capable of being associated with you or your household.
“Other Information” is information that does not and cannot reveal an individual’s specific identity, such as information that has been de-identified or aggregated.
Citi collects and uses certain Personal Information in order to operate and provide you with access to the Services. This includes Personal Information that you provide to us and Personal Information that we collect automatically when you visit or interact with the Services.
Information That You Provide to Us
We collect Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us when you use the Services. For example, we collect information directly from you when you sign up for Citi News alerts and provide feedback on our websites or mobile apps. The types of Personal Information that we may collect directly from you include the following:
- Your name, email addresses, telephone numbers, and other contact details;
- Your online preferences and subscription selections; and
- Business information, such as your company name and your role.
Information That We Collect About Your Use of the Services
We automatically collect certain information about your use of the Services and about the device you use to access the Services, which may include:
- The pages you request and visit;
- Information obtained in the course of maintaining or supporting the Services;
- Information about your internet use, such as your IP address, the URLs of sites from which you arrive or leave the Services, your type of browser, your operating system, your internet provider; and
- If you access the Services via your mobile device, we may also collect information about your mobile provider and type of mobile device.
We (and others that control collection of Personal Information) use different technologies to collect this information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
How Personal Information Is Used
We use the Personal Information we collect to provide, maintain, and improve the Services. We may also use the Personal Information we collect to:
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages (such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies) and to respond to your comments, questions, and customer service requests;
- Receive and respond to your submissions on the Services such as submissions on our website;
- Permit you to participate in voluntary polls and surveys (we may use third parties to deliver incentives to you to participate in such polls and surveys, and you may be required to provide your contact details to the third party in order to fulfill the incentive offer);
- Communicate with you about products, services, and events offered by Citi and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (see “Your Choices” below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Develop new products and services and enhance current products and services;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, and protect the rights and property of Citi and others; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
How Personal Information Is Shared
We may disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes or as otherwise described in this Notice:
- To support certain Citi entities’ use of information in accordance with this Notice (a list of Citi entities who may access your Personal Information can be found at http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/831001/000083100115000043/citi-exhibit2101x12312014.htm);
- With our service providers, who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, processing your transactions, e-mail delivery, auditing, and other services;
- To cooperate with public and government authorities and law enforcement, and to respond to their requests, or to provide them with information as required;
- For other legal reasons, such as to monitor compliance with and enforce our terms and conditions, to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others, to protect against fraud, crime, illegal activity, anti-money laundering, or anti- terrorism, and for risk management purposes; and
- In connection with a sale or business transaction, such as to an acquiring entity or its advisors in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We may also disclose aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you to help deliver products, services, and content that are tailored to the users of our Services and for other purposes.
We may transfer information to Citi affiliated companies or other parties throughout the world, for example to process transactions and provide you with products and services. Regardless of where we process your information, we still treat it in accordance with this Notice and applicable law.
Our Services are not designed for children and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If you have reason to believe that a child has provided Personal Information to us, please contact us, and we will take appropriate action.
Links to Other Websites
The Services may contain links to other websites. Please note that Citi is not responsible for the privacy or information security practices of other websites. You should carefully review the applicable privacy and information security policies and notices for any other websites you click through to via the Services.
We seek to use reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural measures to safeguard Personal Information within our organization against loss, theft, and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your information, we cannot guarantee its security.
Marketing Emails and Citi News Alerts
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us or Citi News Alerts, you may opt out by following the instructions contained within each such email or through the communications center in your account profile. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt out of receiving marketing-related emails or Citi News Alerts, we may still send you administrative messages, from which you cannot opt out.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
Do Not Track
Some browsers have a do not track feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. At this time, we do not respond to browser do not track signals.
Changes to This Notice
From time to time, we may revise this Notice. Changes may be made for any number of reasons, including to reflect industry initiatives, changes in the law, and changes to the scope of the Services, among other reasons. You can tell when we last updated the Notice by checking the date at the beginning of the Notice. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Notice on the Site.
f you have any questions about this Notice, please contact us using the contact form below.
If you are contacting us from outside the United States, please refer to the Citi website in your country or use the contact details in the local privacy notice for your product.
Supplemental provisions regarding individuals in the EEA
If you are in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data.
Legal Basis for Processing
If you are in the EEA, when we process your personal data we will only do so in the following situations:
- We need to use your personal data to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., to facilitate your participation in voluntary polls and surveys).
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data. For example, we may process your personal data to send you marketing communications, to communicate with you about changes to the Services, and to provide, secure, and improve our Services.
- We find such processing is necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
- We have your consent to do so. When consent is the legal basis for our processing, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
Data Subject Requests
You may have certain rights with respect to the personal data which Citi holds about you, including the right to access or correct (and sometimes, object to or delete) the information. If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress, restrict or delete personal data that you have provided to us, object to the processing of personal data, or if you would like to receive an electronic copy of your personal data for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law) you may contact our GDPR Data Protection Officer using the bellowing information. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
1 North Wall Quay Citigroup Centre, 25 Canada Square
D01 T8Y1 E14 3LB
Ireland United Kingdom
We retain personal data for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- The length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Services to you (for example, for as long as you keep using the Services);
- Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation, or regulatory investigations).
Data Controller Except as otherwise specified on any subsections within sites or apps that comprise the Services, such as the Careers, Alumni, or Citi Consumer Banking subsections, your personal data will be controlled by Citigroup Technology Inc. of 388 Greenwich Street, New York, NY 10013, USA and/or the Citi entity which operates the Services you are accessing (and/or if you are Citigroup personnel, the Citi entity which employs you or contracts with you). A list of certain Citi entities can be found at: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/831001/000083100115000043/citi-exhibit2101x12312014.htm. If you would like additional information regarding the applicable Citi entity or entities, please contact us.
Your personal data may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers.
Some of the non-EEA countries are recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection according to EEA standards (the full list of these countries is available here).
You may lodge a complaint with a data protection authority for your country or region where an alleged infringement of applicable data protection law has occurred. A list of data protection authorities is available here.
Supplemental provision applicable to California residents
Supplemental Provision – California
This California Supplemental Provision (the “Supplement“) supplements the information contained in the Citigroup.com Privacy Notice (the “Privacy Notice“) and applies solely to residents of California who have rights under the California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA“) (“consumers” or “you“). Unless otherwise defined in the Privacy Notice, any terms defined in this Supplement have the meaning used in the CPRA.
We do not collect other forms of Personal Information called “sensitive” Personal Information, which are subject to additional protections under applicable data privacy laws. Because we do not collect “sensitive” Personal Information, we do not need to provide a Limit Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information right under the CPRA.
Summary of Personal Information Handling Practices
We provide in the chart below a summary of our prior 12-month Personal Information handling practices. We do not sell your Personal Information to third parties for monetary consideration. However, we may share your Personal Information with third parties for advertising purposes. We do not have actual knowledge of any collection, use, sale, or sharing of Personal Information of consumers under 16 years of age.
|Categories of Personal Information||Sources||Purposes of Processing such Personal Information||Recipients of Personal Information|
|Identifiers, such as first name and last name, Internet Protocol address, email address, or other similar identifiers.||From You||
We have not sold your identifiers to third parties for monetary consideration.
We may have shared your identifiers with third party cookie and tracker providers for targeted advertising purposes. See the Advertising and Analytics section in the Privacy Notice for more details.
We have disclosed your identifiers to our affiliates and to other parties that provide services to us or act on our behalf in connection with the operation of our business. See the How Personal Information is Disclosed section in the Privacy Notice for more details.
|Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an internet website application, or advertisement.||From You||
We have not sold this information to third parties for monetary consideration.
We may have shared this information with third party cookie and tracker providers for targeted advertising purposes. See the Advertising and Analytics section in the Privacy Notice for more details.
We have disclosed this information to our affiliates and to other parties that provide services to us or act on our behalf in connection with the operation of our business. See the How Personal Information is Disclosed section in the Privacy Notice for more details.
|Geolocation data.||From your usage of the site||
We have not sold this information to third parties.
We have not shared this information with third parties for targeted advertising purposes.
We have disclosed this information to our affiliates and to other parties that provide services to us or act on our behalf in connection with the operation of our business. See the How Personal Information is Disclosed section in the Privacy Notice for more detail
Retention of Personal Information
We store Personal Information for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Your Rights and Choices
The CPRA affords consumers residing in California certain rights with respect to their Personal Information, subject to certain exceptions. Subject to certain limitations, you have the following rights in California:
- Right to Delete. You have the right to request us to delete the Personal Information we have collected about you.
- Right to Correct. You have the right to request us to correct inaccurate Personal Information we maintain about you.
- Right to Know and Access. You have the right to know and access the Personal Information we have collected about you, including the categories of Personal Information, the categories of sources from which the Personal Information is collected, the business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling, or sharing Personal Information, the categories of third parties to whom we disclose Personal Information, and the specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you.
- Data Portability. You have the right to receive the information under right (3) in a format, to the extent technically feasible, that is portable, usable, and allows you to transmit the Personal Information to a person without impediment, where the processing is carried out by automated means.
- Right to Opt-Out. You have the right to opt out of certain processing, such as opting out of profiling or our sale or sharing of your Personal Information.
- Right to No Discrimination. You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of your privacy rights. This includes us not: (a) denying you goods or services; (b) charging you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties; (c) providing you a different level or quality of goods or services; and (d) suggesting to you that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Exercising Your Rights
To exercise your rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Visiting Citi Privacy Hub; or
- Calling us at (833) 971-1191 (TTY: 711)
Except for the right to opt-out related to selling or sharing your Personal Information, we will need to verify your identity before honoring your privacy right request. Subject to certain limitations, we will honor your privacy rights request within 45 calendar days of receipt of your request, unless we request an extension as permitted by data privacy laws. However, we will honor opt-out of sale and sharing requests within 15 business days.
You may exercise your privacy rights through an authorized agent. If we receive your request from an authorized agent, we may ask for evidence that you have provided such agent with a power of attorney or that the agent otherwise has valid written authority to submit requests to exercise rights on your behalf. If you are an authorized agent seeking to make a request, please contact us by either:
- Visiting Citi Privacy Hub; or
- Calling us at (833)-981-0270 (TTY: 711)
Whether you submit a request directly on your own behalf, or through an authorized agent, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to responding to your requests under CCPA. Upon receiving a request pursuant to #1 or #2 in the “Requests” section above, we will confirm receipt within 10 days and provide you with information about how we will verify and process the request. In order to verify your request, we will require you to provide your social security number, tax ID number or passport number and issuing country, in addition to your first and last name, email address and mailing address.
Additional Disclosure for California Residents
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please contact us by either:
- Visiting Citi Privacy Hub; or
- Calling us at (833)-981-0270 (TTY: 711)
If you have any questions about this Supplement, the ways in which we collect and process your Personal Information described in this Supplement, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under the CPRA, please visit Citi Privacy Hub or call us at (833) 971-1191 (TTY: 711).
Supplemental provision applicable to users registering from the UAE
Your use of the Services signifies that you agree to waive your material privacy rights under the laws of the UAE. You also agree not to hold Citi liable for any publicity, any publication of news, or comments pertaining to the secrets of your or any other person’s private or family lives on the Services. Your use of the Services signifies your consent to allowing Citi to disclose any information that you may consider a secret to anybody at any time. You agree not to hold Citi liable for any disclosure of such information that you may think to be a secret to anyone. Please do not use the Services if you disagree with any part of this Notice.
Supplemental provision applicable to users registering from Korea
Your consent of the Notice and User Agreement upon joining the Citi Alumni Site is deemed that you agreed that your personal information will be controlled, not by Citibank Korea Inc. nor other subsidiaries and affiliates in Korea (“Citi Korea”), but by Citigroup Inc. NY, USA and/or Citi entity which operates the Services you are accessing. Citi Korea is solely responsible for the use of your personal information within Korea, when it is used by Citi Korea, under the applicable Korean laws including; Personal Information Protection Act, Act on Promotion of Information and Communications Network Utilization and Information Protection, etc., and other relevant Korean laws. Your personal information and the Submitted material can be shared with Citi Korea but Citi Korea will not collect and use such personal information and material for any marketing purpose without your prior consent. When Citi Korea obtains personal information our personal information via the Services, the use will be controlled by and be bound to the necessary process and procedure following the applicable Korean laws.